Vaccine Injury Law: MMR Vaccine Injuries
The legal team at Downing, Allison & Jorgenson National Vaccine Injury Lawyers exclusively practices vaccine injury law. As nationwide vaccine injury lawyers, the firm’s vaccine injury attorneys are led by Andrew Downing and licensed to practice before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. They can assist with Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) claims, including MMR vaccine injuries. If you have questions about a vaccine injury or a VICP claim, including injuries from the MMR vaccine, the firm can help.
What Is The MMR Vaccine?
The MMR vaccine is recommended by the CDC and protects recipients against measles, mumps and rubella. The MMR vaccine is administered to children, usually in two doses at ages 12 to 15 months and again sometime between the ages of four and five years old. Sometimes, the MMR vaccine is also combined with a vaccine for chickenpox (varicella), which is called the MMRV vaccine.
Risks And Reactions To The MMR Vaccine
There are several possible risks and reactions that are associated with the MMR vaccine. These risks and reactions range in severity, including:
- Swelling of the glands
- Seizures (resulting from fever)
- Pain and joint stiffness
- Allergic reactions
Occasionally, MMR vaccine reactions and side effects can be quite severe. In the event medical problems and issues arise, you may be eligible to file a claim with the VICP. Downing, Allison & Jorgenson National Vaccine Injury Lawyers is solely dedicated to providing victims of vaccine injuries representation and assistance.
What Are The Known Side Effects Of The MMR Vaccine?
MMR issues are rare, but in some cases, the MMR side effects can be serious and life threatening. Some of the many side effects that can arise include:
- Measles – About one week to 11 days after the MMR vaccination, some children get a mild form of measles with a rash, high temperature, loss of appetite and general feeling of being unwell.
- Mumps – About three to four weeks after having the MMR vaccination, 1 in 50 children develop a mild form of mumps, including swelling of the glands in the cheek, neck or under the jaw.
- Autoimmune reactions – In the weeks after receiving the MMR vaccine, some adult women experience painful, stiff or swollen joints for around three days. In some cases, this results in chronic arthritis.
- Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) – In 1 in every 24,000 doses, someone receiving the MMR vaccine may get a rash of bruise-like spots or abnormal bruising in the weeks after having the vaccination. It can also cause abnormal bleeding, like nosebleeds, bleeding gums and abnormally heavy menstrual cycles. This condition can be life-threatening.
- Allergic Reactions – In about 1 in 100,000 doses of the MMR vaccine, a child can have a severe allergic reaction immediately. Medical staff who give vaccines are trained to deal with these types of allergic reactions, and immediate treatment can lead to a full recovery.
- Seizures – Another potential issue with the MMR vaccine is that there is a small chance of seizures occurring within two weeks after having the MMR vaccine. This occurs in about 1 in every 1,000 doses.
- Encephalitis or Encephalopathy – In some very serious cases, inflammation of the brain after vaccination can result in seizures, loss of consciousness, altered mental state, and many other medical problems. This is an emergency event.
The legal team at Downing, Allison & Jorgenson National Vaccine Injury Lawyers can assist you with claims to the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program and any potential claims for injuries resulting from the MMR vaccine.
Suffering From MMR Vaccine Injuries? Call Today.
If your child is suffering from a reaction or injury resulting from the MMR or the MMRV vaccine, don’t wait. Strict filing deadlines and statutes of limitations apply for filing a claim.
At Downing, Allison & Jorgenson National Vaccine Injury Lawyers, the nationwide vaccine injury attorneys exclusively practice vaccine injury law and are led by Andrew Downing. They can assist you with your claims regarding MMR issues or side effects.Call today at 480-701-0999 or send an email through the online form to schedule your free consultation.